Public school reorganization is defined as "the consolidation of two or more school districts, the dissolution of a school district, the detachment of territory from one school district and its attachment to an adjoining school district or the creation of a school district." (Wis. stats. 117.03(5))
Laws related to school district reorganization are found in Chapter 17 of the Wisconsin Statutes.
REORGANIZATION METHODS AND TIMELINES
- Detachment and Attachment of Small Territory Initiated by Owner (Wis. Stats. 117.12)
- Detachment and Attachment of Small Territory Initiated by School Boards (Wis. Stats. 117.13)
- Detachment and Attachment of Large Territory (Wis. Stats. 117.11)
- School District Consolidation (Wis. Stats. 117.08)
- Union High School and K-8 District Consolidation (Wis. Stats. 117.09)
- Dissolution of a School District (Wis. Stats. 117.10)
- Creating a New School District (s.117.105)
- Territory Annexed to Certain Municipalities (Wis. Stats. 117.132)
- School District Boundary Disputes (Wis. Stats. 117.35)
School District Consolidation Feasibility Study Grants - The application period is closed. For information about grants and completed studies go to http://sms.dpi.wi.gov/sms_rg_cgrant.