The Department of Public Instruction does not provide personal consultation and technical assistance regarding home-based private educational programs. The home-based private educational program telephone numbers, 608-267-9248 or toll free 1-888-245-2732, ext. 1, are available for general home-based private educational program information.
There are many home-based parent associations you may wish to contact for further information about home-schooling - please click here for information about the two largest in Wisconsin.
Information for School Districts
- The PI-1206 form must be completed and submitted online. Click here for a Sample Only copy of a completed PI-1206. The Sample Only copy is for your reference only. The PI-1206 must be submitted online. Paper copies are no longer accepted.
- Wisconsin Statutes relating to Home Schooling
- Frequently Asked Questions Relating to Home Schooling
- Part Time Public School Attendance Option - Wis. Stats. 118.145(4)
- Home-Based Private Educational Program Enrollment Statistics
- Five-year-old Kindergarten Attendance and First Grade Admission
2009 WI Act 41 [Wis. Stat. Sec. 118.14(1)(am)] took effect on October 21, 2009. It requires a child who is enrolled in 5-year-old kindergarten in a public or private school to regularly attend kindergarten during the school year. Beginning in the 2011-12 school year, with certain exceptions, Act 41 also requires a child to complete 5-year-old kindergarten as a prerequisite to being admitted to first grade in a public school. The Wisconsin Association of School Boards has issued a statement describing the law.